The most common reason people choose to give up a dog is a behaviour issue that could have been corrected with proper training. That’s why the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA (HBSPCA) is committed to providing high quality dog training courses to dog owners; well-behaved dogs are less likely to be surrendered or abandoned.
The HBSPCA and Positive Pups have partnered together to offer dog training sessions at the SPCA. This partnership is designed to bring top dog training to dogs and their owners, support responsible pet ownership and benefit animal care at the shelter.
Why should I take dog obedience training at the HBSPCA?
The HBSPCA is committed to supporting responsible dog ownership and dogs in their forever homes.
Kelly and Aaron Robbins of Positive Pups each bring more than 20 years of training experience to the HBSPCA and the best techniques for positive reinforcement. In addition, Kelly has worked as a Dog Behavioural Assessment Associate at the HBSPCA . Together, Kelly and Aaron have counselled many dog owners through behavioral and aggression problems and have worked with hundreds of different breeds of dogs all over the world.
Dog Obedience Training Schedule:
Beginner 1 Start Dates
- Thursday April 11 at 6:45 – FULL
- Wednesday April 24 at 5:45 – FULL
- Thursday May 2 at 4:45 – FULL
- Thursday May 23 at 5:45 – FULL
- Thursday June 6 at 6:45
- Wednesday June 19 at 5:45
- Thursday July 4 at 4:45
- Thursday July 25 at 5:45
- Thursday Aug 8 at 6:45
- Wednesday Sept 11 at 5:45
- Thursday Sept 26 at 4:45
Level 2 Start Dates
- Wednesday Oct 3 at 6:45 – CLOSED
- Wednesday Dec 5 at 6:45
- Wednesday Feb 13 at 6:45
- Wednesday May 1 at 6:45
- Wednesday Sept 11 at 6:45
What do I need to know?
- The dog training course is 7 weeks.
- Classes are once a week, for one hour.
- Minimum number of participants is 4; maximum is 8
- No more then 2 humans per dog please
- Sessions are non-refundable once the session has started
- The cost is $200.00; any dog adopted from the HBSPCA receives a $25.00 discount. ($175.00)*
- *50% of the cost of the sessions stays with the SPCA for animal care.
What do I need to do to sign up?
- Eligible dogs must be at least 12 weeks of age and with their second set of vaccines.
- Owners are required to bring proof of vaccines including Bordetella, also known as kennel cough vaccine and a signed waiver form that can printed off the Positive Pups web site at www.positivepups.ca
- Beginner 1: sit, down, heal, stay, come when called. Address negative behaviours such as biting, jumping & housebreaking.
- Beginner 2: Impulse control, off-leash verbal control, hand signals, off-leash healing and out of sight sit/down/stays.
Registration can be done over the phone with a credit card or in person at 245 Dartnall Rd with cash, debit or credit card. The administration office is open Monday-Friday 9am-5pm for payments and registration. 905 574-7722 press 0.