The HBSPCA provides spay/neuter surgeries for pets in low income households.
Generally, our Companion Animal Hospital schedules about 10 days a month for these day procedures for pets living in the community. Pet owners pre-register for the procedure, pre pay, and bring their pet to the shelter early in the morning on the day of the surgery. Pets are ready to be picked up mid-afternoon and return home.
Is my companion animal eligible for the program?
- Pets must be between four months and five years of age.
- Pets must be within a normal weight range for dogs and cats. (weight limit is 35kg)
- Male dogs and cats must have two descended testicles.
- Pets must not be coughing or sneezing.
- Pets should not have any medical conditions or history of complications and medical conditions.
- Pets must not be pregnant. Pregnant cats can be spayed, but the pregnancy will be terminated at the time of surgery.
- Female dogs must not be in heat.
- We strongly recommend that your animal is vaccinated prior to surgery to prevent them contracting a contagious disease.
|Number of people in the household||Eligible income for program|
|1 – 2 people||Under $40,000|
|3 – 4 people||Under $50,000|
|5+ people||Under $65,000|
After Care Instructions:
Cat Spay or Neuter – $75.00
Dog Neuter – $150.00 – $175.00 (Price will vary with weight)
Dog Spay – $195.00 – $250.00 (Price will vary with weight)
– Rabies vaccine
– FVRCP vaccine
– Rabies vaccine
Download the Community Assistance Program Application.
The Hamilton/Burlington SPCA is thrilled to announce that we have once again been awarded a grant from PetSmart Charities Canada that will allow us to offer 1200 cat spay/neuter surgeries in 2018 for a cost of only $20 to the pet owner!
The eight registration of 2018 will have two opportunities to register
Wednesday August 15th from 11am-1pm at 181 Jackson St W – Open to residents of L8P & L8R postal codes
Thursday August 23rd from 10am-12pm in the lobby of 195 Ferguson N – Open to residents of L8L, L8N and L8R postal codes
– Open to indoor and outdoor cats
– Payment of $20 cash required at time of registration
– Proof of address must be shown
– Maximum of 3 cats per household
– Cats must be between 4 months and 5 years of age
– Limited availability (100 spots available)
– Do NOT bring your cat to registration