Blog

Feline Friday

For today’s #FelineFriday let’s talk Easter Lilies!

As we approach the Easter weekend and the stores start to fill with beautiful potted or cut lilies you may be tempted to bring one home for the counter or dining room table.  BUT…… lovely lilies and curious cats are a dangerous combination.  Cats are curious creatures by nature and will be just as drawn to that pretty pot or vase of flowers as you were in the store. 

If you own a cat this is one plant that you don’t want in your home. The entire lily plant is toxic: the stem, leaves, flowers, pollen, and even the water in a vase. Eating just a small amount of a leaf or flower petal, licking a few pollen grains off its fur while grooming, or drinking the water from the vase can cause your cat to develop fatal kidney failure in less than 3 days.  

Early signs of lily toxicity in cats include decreased activity level, drooling, vomiting, and loss of appetite. These symptoms start 0 to 12 hours after ingestion. Signs of kidney damage start about 12 to 24 hours after ingestion and include increased urination and dehydration. Kidney failure occurs within 24 to 72 hours, leading to death if the cat isn’t treated. Early veterinary treatment greatly improves the cat’s prognosis. However, if treatment is delayed by 18 hours or more after ingestion, the cat will generally have irreversible kidney failure.  Just say no to lilies!

Spring is a lovely time of year and after a long, dark winter we are all anxious for a burst of spring flowers and there are many cat safe flowers including daisies, tulips, and zinnia to name a few.  More cat safe flowers and tips can be found here  https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/uncategorized/no-lilies-for-kitties/

If you suspect your cat has ingested a toxic substance contact your veterinarian or the local emergency vet clinic immediately.