Why should I microchip my pet?
Micro chipping is a wonderful thing you can do for your pet.
Pets that have microchips have a far greater chance of being reunited with their family when they get lost, or even stolen. According to the American Humane Association, only 22% of lost dogs overall were returned to their families, while the return-to-owner rate for micro chipped dogs was over 52%.
Microchips are approximately the size of a grain of rice and are inserted beneath an animal’s skin, between its shoulder blades. The process is painless and takes about 2 minutes. Each microchip has a unique identification number and contains contact information for the pet’s owner. A scanner is used to collect the information on the microchip once it has been inserted. Each microchip (only one per animal is necessary) costs $25, and provides a permanent means of identification for each pet.
Pets must be a minimum of 16 weeks old to receive a Rabies vaccine.
If your pet received a Rabies vaccine last year please bring that paperwork with you.
Where can I go to have the procedure done?
The HBSPCA hosts Microchip/Rabies clinics.
Rabies vaccine (with a FREE microchip): $25.00
Microchip only: $25.00
Upcoming Rabies/Microchip Clinics:
- Sunday October 14th, 2018 | 11am-2pm | Ren’s Pets Depot (Ancaster) | MICROCHIP ONLY – Cash only please
- Monday November 12th, 2018 | 3pm-6pm | HBSPCA – 245 Dartnall Rd Rabies and Microchip
This will be our last clinic of the year and will be your last chance to receive a FREE microchip with your Rabies vaccine.
2018 Microchip & Rabies Vaccines To Date:
- February 26th: 115 rabies vaccines | 119 microchips
- April 9th: 110 rabies vaccines | 78 microchips
- June 11th: 143 rabies vaccines | 97 microchips
- July 9th: 110 rabies vaccines | 68 microchips
- Aug 27th: 118 rabies vaccines | 76 microchips
- October 14th: 20 microchips
In 2017 we implanted 716 microchips in dogs and cats, and vaccinated 669 pets against rabies at these clinics!
For more information on micro-chipping, contact Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org.