Why volunteer at the HBSPCA?
The HBSPCA can’t provide for animals in need without volunteers and their gifts of time and talent. Volunteers are essential to giving animals a second chance and in so many ways, volunteers are the face of animal welfare in our community.
Volunteers’ contributions to the care and healing of animals in need are many and varied. Volunteers walk dogs, socialize cats, help animals recover following surgery, and foster animals. And, volunteers staff reception, do small repairs, design posters, organize fundraisers, and more.
To view current volunteer positions available see our current opportunities.
What do I need to know about being a volunteer at the HBSPCA?
- are 16 years of age and over;
- are 18 years of age and over for the fostering, bingo and off-site adoptions programs
- are friendly, polite and reliable;
- volunteers are required to provide:
a) 2 references (non-family)
b) a clean police background check or a vulnerable sector police check depending on the volunteer position at their own cost.
What is my commitment as a volunteer?
- commit to volunteering a minimum of 4 hours per week;
- commit to volunteering at least once a week;
- commit for 1 year as a volunteer; and
- attend an interview, health and safety orientation and any required training session(s) before being scheduled for a first shift
How do I get started?
Check our current opportunities page for openings and upcoming volunteer information sessions.
The Process for Becoming a Volunteer
- Volunteer positions are posted as they become available
- Dates and times for information sessions about the position(s) are included in the posting.
- Interested candidates are invited to join an information session to learn about the HBSPCA and the positions available, and meet program staff and volunteers in small group discussions.
- This is an opportunity for candidates and HBSPCA to consider whether the position is a good fit for volunteers and the needs of the shelter and the animals.
- Then, interested candidates submit an application and sign up for training.